Please log onto HCPSS Connect to complete your Family File! Parents must complete the Family File every year, even during virtual learning, to ensure HCPSS has the most current information for each child.
Dear BBMS Families,
We hope you are seeing students get into a good routine with classes and assignments now that we are three weeks into the year. This email has a lot of important information; so please save this for future reference. MAP testing is right around the corner (October 7 and 14) and occurs on a Wednesday; so please prepare your students to be online that day. That is a change from our weekly schedule. We also thank the many families who have joined the PTA. We are seeing a good response to membership, but we still need more parents to join. Lastly, there is no school on Monday (we doubt your kids needed to be reminded of that). We wish those of you who are of Jewish faith “G’mar chatima tova” and “L’shana tova”. To all of our BBMS Families, we hope you are healthy and safe and that you have all of the support you need right now. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can do to help your student have a great year this year.
(1) MAP TESTING:
(2) PTA Membership: https://www.bbmspta.org/become-a-member
(3) CLUBS: visit this link to see all of our clubs being offered virtually this fall. The deadline to sign up is September 29!
(4) GT Seminars: visit this link to see what instructional seminars are available for ALL students. Deadline to sign up is Sept 29!
(5) BSAP SATURDAY MATH ACADEMY:
The Howard County Public School System’s BSAP Saturday Math Academy (BSAP-SMA) has been in existence since 1992. The program was developed in collaboration with the HCPSS and parents as a response to requests for opportunities to network. The priority was to learn instructional mathematical strategies to support their children at home and to accelerate academic achievement.
Registration for the Fall 2020 BSAP Saturday Math Academy will be on September 26. Click here for more information, including registration information.
(6) HCPSS Family Mathematics Support Center: there is a tab for "Middle School Math" which break each course down by units. Inside you will find practice problems, solutions, and more. We will provide more detailed instructions soon, but for now, this is a great place to start if you want to practice those math skills. Click HERE.
(7) KHAN Academy: the Khan Academy has great courses set up to help prepare students for their next class in math. These are called "Get Ready For ____". Courses go from 3rd grade all the way to Pre-Calculus. Directions for enrolling in these classes can be found HERE.
(8) HCPSS 2020 Seasonal Flu Vaccine Clinics: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, obtaining a vaccine for seasonal influenza (flu) is even more important this year than ever. HCPSS Health Services is continuing its partnership with the Howard County Health Department (HCHD) and the Maryland Partnership for Prevention (MPP) to offer several regional seasonal flu vaccine clinics for HCPSS students and staff during the month of October. The clinic dates are October 7-14. The clinics will be held at 24 school sites, outdoors, from 4:00-6:00 p.m., and ANY HCPSS student or staff may attend ANY clinic they wish; pre-registration with appointments will be required. Registration starts on Monday, September 21 and closes on Wednesday, September 30. Register at www.vaccineconsent.com and search by location for flu clinics.
The dates and sites are as follows:
Wednesday, October 7 – AHS, CHS, DLES, SFES
Thursday, October 8 – GHS, WLHS, JHES, ARL
Friday, October 9 – MRHS, HOHS, LWES, HMS
Monday, October 12 – RHS, MHHS, BWES, CRES
Tuesday, October 13 – OMHS, HCMS, LES, DRES
Wednesday, October 14 – RHHS, LRHS, GCES, LFES
The health room staff at the schools will coordinate with administration and custodial services on logistics; the clinics will be held outside and will be drive-up clinics. Students and staff may stay in their car when they are vaccinated, or they can sit outside at a table if they walk up. All parties will be required to use appropriate PPE and all social distancing measures will be employed.
(9) Greetings ALL Science Lovers!
Join the Robinson Nature Center and Howard Astronomical League for a virtual event on International Observe the Moon Night, this Saturday, September 26, from 7:30 - 8:30 pm. See the moon through different telescopes across Howard County, enjoy video clips from Robinson’s planetarium, and hear from local astronomy experts. Fun for all ages and FREE! Please see this Flyer for more information:
(10) Face-to-Face Supports to Small Groups of Students
A FEW REMINDERS AND UPDATES
ABSENCE DUE TO TECHNOLOGY
If your child misses class due to technical difficulties, you should let their teachers know as soon as possible so that they will not be marked absent.
ABSENCE FOR ALL OTHER REASONS (except technology reasons as listed above)
If your child is absent from school, please email your child’s attendance note to email@example.com
GOOGLE MEET SAFETY MEASURES
Please take a few moments to review the following information regarding appropriate behavior and engagement during Google Meet Sessions:
Additional information can be found in the Safety Measures During the Google Meet Session on 20-21 HCPSS Virtual Teaching and Learning Page
VIRTUAL INSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY SUPPORTS
While this school year’s opening is different than any that have come before, our staff has the same level of commitment and excitement to meet, teach and support all students. HCPSS teachers have been busy preparing online learning materials for their classes and are dedicated to creating a caring and supportive online classroom.
We recognize there may be times the applications HCPSS is using for virtual learning may not work as anticipated. This may be due to the nationwide increase in demand on these services or an issue with your local internet provider. We know this may be stressful for both you and your child, and ask for your patience as we work through any challenges that may arise. HCPSS teachers will be understanding and flexible if interruptions to technology services cause delays in assignment submissions and missed virtual learning sessions.
Please find below suggestions on how to proceed if your student experiences an issue.
What should we do when technology is not working?
Occasionally, students may have issues with Canvas, Google Meet or other learning platforms used by HCPSS. If your child is having difficulty: